HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - So what do you I do wrong when hunting?
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2009, 08:21 PM
7MMXBOLT
Fork Horn

This may get a little long.

Here are a few tips that may help you see more deer. Where I live here in Northern New England, we have far fewer deer per square mile than many other places and it is not uncommon to not see deer for days. Here you actually have to hunt them to be successful and hunt them hard. I also hunt Southwestern NY and Western Conn. and that is way to easy compared to here. There I can sit in a stand and see 10 to 20 deer on any given day. Here, not so much!

You have to always remember that deer are ALWAYS concerned with predators. They are constantly looking for anything that may be a threat to their life and understanding how they combat this is key to being successful. A deer will always be on the look out for anything that is not natural to their environment like sounds or a change in scenery or a smell. That is why you need to be as quite as you possible can and you try to blend in using camouflage and you use a cover scent to mask your human odor. Granted they are a curious animal by nature and do make mistakes that get them killed, it's the luck of the draw if your the one doing the killing!. Movement is also key, so when moving around even in a stand, you keep it as slow and as minimal as possible especially if you do not see any deer in the immediate area of your stand. I always use binoculars at all times. The objective is to see them before they see you. In order to have one up on them you need to see further than they can. I will slowly glass 360 degrees around my stand until I am positive no deer are in the area before making any other kind of movement. That includes reaching for something out of my pocket or a backpack and so on.

I will always sit in my stand from before daybreak until later in the morning when the wind starts to pick up to a point where I cannot hear what I would think to be a deer moving around in the distance. Once that wind picks up everything sounds as though it could be a deer and usually it is not. Then I climb out of my stand and spot a stalk until a few hours before sunset. Then I will go back to my stand or a different stand and sit there until legal shooting light has passed.

Spot & stalk

This has been my most successful way to hunt especially if I know where they typically bed during the day. That is usually in the thickest area you can find in the area you are hunting. They do this because they can hear anything coming at them from a greater distance. Once they hear something, they do not like they are now looking to see what it is. If it looks like a predator, they are gone! Thick cover is also their camouflage. Their hide is the perfect color for the woods and when they do not move they are sometimes very hard to see. First and most important rule of thumb, keep the wind in your face at all times, no exceptions! A deer can't wind you if your up wind of them and don't ever think you are 100% odor free because your not, ever! I do not care what magic potion you may be using. I also always use the wind to my advantage by using it to cover any sounds that are un-natural to a deer that I might make. When the wind blows, that is when I will move and as slowly as possible. Again, binoculars are now my eyes and glassing out as far as I can in all directions looking for deer that are either standing or lying down. Choosing my next step carefully before hand allows me to not step on anything that would blow it and allows me to choose the best direction in the way of obstructions. Once a deer has been spotted, now the fun begins! I will try to find the nearest tree, put it between the deer and me, and use them for the remainder of the stalk. This helps cover up any mistake I may make while trying to get closer. I will keep my eyes on the deer at all times even when moving if possible and I will normally only take one to two steps closer as slowly as possible each time. I have had times where it took over a hour to get within shooting distance, most of the time it's when I'm Bow hunting. Now this is very important, as you get closer you need to make sure the Deer are looking away from the direction your coming from. Their eyes are placed on the sides of their heads for a reason! They can see better than 180 degrees. Once I feel I am close enough to make a clean shot, the rest is history.

So you see if you want to see more deer you have to put yourself where the Deer are one way or another. Spot and stalk is also a great way to learn where they have been, going and are. I have learned of new places to place a stand by doing this. Once the rut is on, bucks will tell you where to put your stand in the way of scrapes and rubs. They will typically scrape where Does travel frequently and bed near their scrapes during the rut. So if you decide to get a climber, find these scrapes and you will find the Deer. Those active runs are used to travel from bedding and feeding.

The better you get at spot & stalk the more Deer you will see.