HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .223 for Deer Hunting
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2009, 03:53 PM
TFOX
Giant Nontypical

Your obviously not understanding what you are reading and not even comprehending what you are referencing.You obviously don't know how velocity/mass= ke.Then add to that bullet design and actually trying to make the bullet yaw so it will slow down.Remember,my argument in my original response was that penetration is not the main objective and said nothing about having MORE ke,it was in reference to utilizing the ke.

I never stated not to use the .223,but I do not reccomend them.There are too many much better option for kids.I don't like a 30/30 either(personal preference) and I have killed plenty deer with both.I prefer the 7mm-08,.270,.260,.308 and all are manageable for kids with light loads.My reasoning is pretty simple,kids get shook(buck fever) regardless of how good they shoot off the bench.They make less than desirable shots.I prefer to have the absolute most amount of damage possible on these kinds of hits.I have several nephews and 2 kids of my own and have tracked SEVERAL deer from the .223 and .243 because of this and these kids can shoot.

Originally Posted by zrexpilot
Tfox your obviously seeing what you want too see, that graph shows me that the difference in bullets is what makes the difference not KE

Heres another graph
Note the .223 has less KE than the 30-30 and the 12 gauge slug but has a bigger wound channel.

Velocity baby !

The .223 Remington has a KE value of 1102 fpe.

The 30-30 has a KE value of 1536 fpe

The Foster type rifled slug has a KE value of 2222 fpe.

Last edited by TFOX; 10-30-2009 at 04:12 PM.