HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - butchers and how to keep all your meat.
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2009, 05:06 AM
YooperMike
Nontypical Buck

I do EVERYTHING myself when it comes to my deer. Steaks, roasts, sausage, the whole deal. The thing about doing it yourself is that you know how that carcass was handled. You bring it in to a meat locker, you have no idea how the other people handled their deer. If that deer rode around in the back of a truck for 3 days, I sure as hell don't want that deer mixed in with mine. People seem to have a misguided notion that these people are doing one deer at a time, and the jerky in the freezer came off the ass end of their own deer. Tell your dad to pound sand and instead of being a whiny ballbag, pitch in and help you process the thing.

Also, with you being fairly new to this bowhunting thing, processing a deer is about the best anatomy lesson you can get. Take some time and study the front shoulders, where they connect, and more importantly HOW they connect to the rest of the deer. On your first couple, the job may be a little sloppy, but with some practice, you will become good at it, and have way more pride in what you've got in your freezer.