HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - butchers and how to keep all your meat.
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2009, 04:53 AM
nodog
Giant Nontypical

People think there's a lot more meat on a deer than there really is. Sure you'd end up with more if you did it yourself but what you'd end up with is what I cook up for the dog, a lot of connective tissue that makes any meat it's being strangled by tough as all get out to chew..

He's what you do, get 2 deer of about the same size send one to the butcher and do one yourself and then compare the 2. I'm thinking the biggest discrepancy will be the amount of money left in your pocket after; Unless dear old Dad is paying the butchering bill.

It's just way too much money to get all the game done I get to have someone else do something I do well myself. Your dad is right to be concerned but he's thinking it's more sanitary at a butcher shop. Wait till you see the pile of deer waiting to be processed and then just think how much greater the chances are that one of them may have something that effects the whole bunch not to mention everything else in there. If done right it just makes sense that your meat can be way more safe that any butcher shops can be.

Keep things clean and think about what your doing. For starters don't skin with the same knife you butcher unless you clean it first and clean up yourself after skinning. Treat the 2 as 2 separate jobs and your meat will be fine and taste great. It begins in the field remember that. Get it from the field to the freezer in good order and no one will ever say your food tastes gamie or get sick on it.

All this is a mute point until ya get one which is a hole lot harder to do.

Happy hunting!