HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Official Team Surpass Thread (37)
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2009, 05:30 PM
Rammer
Nontypical Buck

Well.................I went out this evening, and I got bloody!! I was sitting in my box blind (since it was raining and the wind was wrong for all my other spots). I wasn't in my blind for 5 minutes and I had a doe come within 5 yards of my stand, and I ran out of jerky last week....In other words, bad move on the doe's part! I shot her and she ran about 50 yards and piled up in front of my stand.

About 20 seconds after I shot her my phone was vibrating in my pocket so I pulled it out an checked my text message, and then I seen what I thought was a cow standing about 300 yards in front of my stand. I set my phone on the floor of my box blind (first mistake), then I looked thru my binos at this deer, his head was down feeding so it was tough to see, plus it was raining. When he raised his head up, I knew I had a shooter on my hands. I was already shaking fairly badly from shooting that doe, so I fumbled around my backpack and got my grunt tube out. I gave him a few tending grunts while looking thru my binoculars, and his head instantly snapped my direction. He started coming fairly quickly, so I was moving stuff around and getting ready to make another shot. When he got to a big rub about 150 yards away he went into the willows/cattails. I knew it'd be just a matter of time and he'd be coming out of them about 40 yards from my stand on the same trail that I had shot the doe on earlier. When he stepped about, he was coming straight at my stand, so I grabbed my bow in one hand, and my laser range finder in the other. I just raised my hand to laser him and my phone started vibrating again (second mistake), the phone was laying on the floor of my blind, and my box blind was magnifying the sound of the vibrating so the deer came to full alert. I quickly set my bow down an grabbed my phone to hit the ignore button, I've got my eyes glued on the buck, and he is glued on me now. We had a stare off contest for about 30 seconds then he slowly started to turn to leave so I lasered him (38 yards). He stopped turning and was quartering very slightly away from me. I managed to control my buck fever, set my 40 yard pin low and at about the 3rd to last rib due to the angle. At the release I knew all was good. When he spun at the impact I could see about 8" of my arrow sticking right where it needed to be, the broadhead was out the opposite side.

He covered about 150 yards in 20 seconds, he was moving really slowly with his tail down and head down. I seen him spin a few times in the willows and then no more movement. I waited a good 45 minutes to get down from my stand (mainly because I thought I was going to fall if I tried any sooner). I got down and walked right up to the doe I shot and got her drug out to the edge of the field. Then I decided to slowly work my way over to where the buck ran into the willows and look for blood. I got to the trail he went in on, and it looked like someone threw an axe thru that deer.

I went about 50 yards in and found his bed where I seen him spin an go down. While I was standing there trying to figure out wht I wasn't seeing any more blood or him I seen him sneak out of the willows I was in, and go into another group of willows about 75 yards away. I then backed out and came home.

Here is the picture of the doe I shot tonite:

I didn't get her cleaned up before the picture because I was really frustrated at this point. That is the exit hole in the pic, both of her lungs got destroyed.

I have a picture of the buck I shot on my trail camera 4 days ago, do you think it would be a bad omen if I posted up a picture of him tonite without finding him yet?