HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How could i have ever been that dumb.
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2009, 05:13 PM
danr1
Spike

Originally Posted by bigtim6656
My plan was 20,30,40,50,60. After shooting 40 i am not sure i want to go out that far. I have my 20 pin then my 30 pins sights 1/2 inch below it. Oddly my 40 pin sits just off my 30 not sure why just seems it flatten out alittle. At 30 with my 40 i am about 6 to 8 inchs high. I could aim high like you do but i am not good enough that i want to judge that. I do not get enough time to shoot to be that good. And being able to you do have all my respect. . It seems to have a good arc with the 40 yard pin. I can shoot my 20 pin and be dead on down to 5 feet or out to maybe 25. Honestly i still do not know what made me use even my 30 pin. Guess it was the heat of the moment.
No I don't shoot more then 40 yards, most places I sit there is no way to get that kinda distance anyway. If the edge of a field I'd generally pass if that or over, I can wait and get closer. Most my shots are well within the 20 yards anyway, more often then not half of that even.

I will and have shot out farther, I shoot once to 70 yards at a decent buck, I did hit it, hit it lower then I wanted and took some time to find it but we did find it but that is an exception.
I don't use or even own a yardage finder, I just guesstimate it.

If you haven't yet, well once you got the mechanics down pat on a target at a known yardages, sounds like your past that, get to a 3d range when you got the time instead of shooting at that bag.

If you can't do that pick up a 3d deer and shoot at it from unknown distances, but not in the back yard where its flat perfectly mowed lawn.

I shoot a couple times at known yardage to check my pin to make sure its on, then I go shoot 3D course or two. They are the best real world target practice for deer, even if the targets are not all deer. The woods, brush and uneven terrain make it hard to read the distance, and the fact they are not marked make you find it for yourself, and don't use a rangefinder.

Anyway that is how I greatly improved my ability to judge distance, it also helps that and I hunt the same land and tend to hunt the same spots every year, I simply know how far it is point a to point b for most all of it after so many years. Or how far it is half way across the one field!