HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bow Speed
Thread: Bow Speed
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2009, 10:03 AM
Dopler
Fork Horn

This thread kind of morphed into a speed vs forgiving bow argument. I think the old argument that supports buying a “forgiving bow” has lost much of the advantages and talking points that it once had. Today’s “speed bows” that boast an IBO ratings of 320fps plus are not like they used to be. I remember test shooting speed bows like the Bowtech Black Knight in the early 2000’s and they were a real tough pull, they were tough to hold back and when you shot, it felt like you’d been kicked by a mule. Now, with speed bows from companies like Elite, Mathews, PSE, etc. it does not in my opinion pay to buy a forgiving bow anymore--they generally have a long brace height, usually have a low energy cam that offers an easy draw cycle and are quiet and shock free, but today’s speed bows are also recoil free and quiet. I would argue that anyone can manage a brace height in the range of 6.5” to 7” (which seems ideal to me) any longer means you’re leaving valuable power stoke energy on the table. Buy a speed bow and if you want to slow your arrow down or have a more forgiving bow, reduce draw weight on that speed bow or use a heavier arrow. If you think about the difference of a forgiving bow with an IBO rating of 280fps compared to a speed bow with an IBO rating of 320fps you’re looking at a draw weight difference of approximately 20LBS of pull. That means if you shoot a 70LB forgiving bow, you will get the approximate same speed on the same arrow at 50LBS of pull. I don’t usually hear this side of the argument when I hear this debate but the numbers don’t lie.