HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 1st season sucess!
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2009, 07:18 PM
GooseHunter Jr.
Nontypical Buck

Default 1st season sucess!

I was lucky enough to harvest this cow on opening day of first season. She was moving thru a large meadow wish some small aspen stands. They when into a small drainage and that allowed me to move up a little closer and also find a good spot to shot from. They popped from the drained around 150 yards. I always shoot the lead cow always seem to be the biggest and she did not let me down. Hit her with a round and I could tell she was hit good and she hunched up. She then proceeded to turn and go back up the meadow and she stopped, so I let the .338 Win Mag hit her again and she never took another shot!!
I have to give a huge thanks to my DAD!! I packed out a front quarter on the way to get him. He was not hunting as he did not draw a tag and came along to just hang out and be there just incase I needed some help packing out. And I did!! She was 2.3 miles from the nearest road and the walk was straight uphill all the way!! Back is still sore!! It took us until 6pm on Sunday to get her all back to camp!!
THANKS AGAIN DAD!!!!!!!
Only draw back to the trip was we both had deer tags for 2nd season, but the road we take to get to the lower area is a horrible to road drive even dry and it had been snowing and raining on and off for the 6 days we were there. Talked with Sombrero Ranch guys and they were even having touble getting horses in for 2nd season. So we decided not to risk the road and not be too greedy and headed home a few days early!!
One more time.......THANKS DAD!!!!

Camp

Veiw from camp!!

Releif that work is done!!

Until next year!!! :cheers: