HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Old but new to me mk-85
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2009, 02:57 PM
flounder33
Nontypical Buck

Default Old but new to me mk-85

This morning it quit raining so I took out the mk-85 I bought last week to see how it would shoot. The gun looks really good for its age (built in late 80's). The serial # is 28XX. I don't think it was ever shot much. The only thing I can say bad about it is the previous owner must not have cleaned the reciever real well as there was some residue there and there was a little pitting after I got it cleaned up good. The barrel and the laminated stock seemed excellent inside and out.
This gun shot as good or better than any black powder gun I have been around. I was using 90 grains of 2f 777 and the 250 grain XTPs. The bore of this gun is definitely tighter than my other mk-85. I was using the MMP short black sabots and I wouldn't have wanted them any tighter.
The other thing that was new to me is the peep sight that came with the rifle. I hadn't shot with one before and for my old eyes I think it is a big improvement over regular open sights.
My son shot with me and of course his group was better than mine. We were right at 50 yards and he put three shots right in the bulls eye so under a 1 inch group.
I have talked a little with Busta about this gun as he also has an early mk-85. I think the barrel is a Gumby barrel. It only has six lands and grooves instead of the eight in the green mountain barrels.
I sure am happy with this old gun.
Art