HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - city deer hunting?
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2009, 06:43 PM
spaniel
Nontypical Buck

For four years, I had permission to hunt in suburban Ann Arbor, MI. It was the best bowhunting I ever had. I saw nice bucks every year, far nicer than anywhere that there was real hunting pressure. Over those four years I harvested a very nice 10-pointer, a nice 8-pointer, a 6, two 4s, and a spike. And a fistful of does to boot. One day I shot 4 deer in less than an hour.

I also screwed the pooch on two of the nicest bucks I ever drew an arrow on due to range misestimation. I think one was a 12 and one a 14.

The real problem was recovery. I had to be VERY selective about my shots, I passed on many where I felt the deer would flee in the direction of houses. I could only shoot if I felt they'd flee toward an undeveloped area. Honestly it was quite stressful and when the property owner moved I was not entirely sorry to lose the spot. I was sure it was only a matter of time before some liberal animal lover tried to bring in some heat on me even though I was fully legal. Or that a deer would run where I did not expect it and die in someone's yard.