HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 35 acre paradise!!!! but confused about it!
Old 10-21-2009, 08:00 AM
Father Forkhorn
Nontypical Buck

That sounds like a great property that won't be empty for long. Rut will start moving everything and present deer movements will be vastly altered.

Do you know what's going on in other properties? I went out last week looking for rubs and scrapes and didn't see anything and that was a larger tract of land. I think its on the early side for us still and you're even farther south. There may not be much activity yet at all

A trail camera could help you. Perhaps some mock scrapes along that trail would be useful. It might also pay to check the area. You have good food there, but there may be something else like an unharvested crop field that the deer are using instead. If its harvested, they'll have to switch. That place could be crawling with deer before you know it. It sounds like deer are very close by ("across the street") and its good habitat. That will bring deer eventually.

I think this situation might even help you: the does are going to start getting pushed by bucks and are going to want to avoid them till they're ready to breed. That piece of property sounds like a good one for them to head toward when the pressure hits. The bucks won't be far behind.