HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Deer hunter satisfaction survey
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2009, 06:41 AM
Jacob Garrett
Fork Horn

1 in Tn

We used to have enough deer that you would see 3 or 4 a day if you spent the time in the woods but now you might go days before you see one. The DNR opened a 3 does a day every day of season. Our season all together runs from Sep-Jan with rifle season from Nov-mid Jan and it sucks! The out of staters and people that doesn't live anywhere near here thought it was a shooting gallery when it started. They shot everything with hair on it. They would shoot them and throw the whole deer out on the side of the road. The local paper had a picture of about 20 deer piled up on the side of the road and the only thing missing was the horns on the bucks. We KNOW who did it but couldn't prove it. Some guys from Knoxville leased a big spot of land beside mine and they killed everything that moved. We drive by there camp going in to hunt the evening and saw a big 4 wheeler trailer loaded over with deer. The next morning I went to pick up my buddy and there was a huge pile of deer laying at the rarely used end of the road that wasn't there the night before when we came home. Drove back by the camp and there sat an empty trailer with no full coolers, hides, nothing. They only leased it that year but you still do good to see 1 deer all weekend out there where you used to see 6 or 8 a day. I won't even hunt it this year and hopefully they will come back. The DNR still says we have too many deer. I don't know how my hunting buddies and I hunt alot and last year we all went about 6 whole days as a group without seeing anything. I wish they would go back to Buck only and then give out 3-4 doe tags the last half of season like they used to when we had a few deer. Or atleast stop giving the people that doesn't live in our unit all the doe tags so the slaughter will slow down. If you have to hunt there every year you care alittle more about the deer pop. than the guy who just come in for a 5 day hunt and shoots everything they see. They can pick a different area next year so it doesn't matter to them.

Sorry about that. Got alittle pi$$ed off just thinking about it.