HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Custom Rifle....help me build it
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2009, 06:35 PM
JOE PA
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up Of the ones you've mentioned...

It's been a while, but I used to do stock work for a shop and on many guns I had to buy, work on, play with, and sell. While there are a lot of things I like about a Ruger action, the Remington is easier to bed, IME. The angled bedding bolt (guard screw) on the Ruger is trickier than the round action, straight bedding bolt and washer type recoil lug on the Remington. Every Remington 700, 600, or 660 I've owned would shoot 1" or less at 100 yards from a bench. Most experts like the conrolled feed of the Ruger, but with a .280 or something like that, you probably are not looking to hunt bears or other dangerous stuff. I've never had a Remington that had feed, extraction, or ejection issues. I have a custom gun with a late '70s era Brown stock, though I'm sure there are better ones available today. Most custom barrels will shoot very well, but so will factory barrels if you can find the length and contour you want. Never owned a .280, but I have a friend who shoots most of his deer with a .270, and another that does very well with a 7mm Remington mag.

Like I said, it has been a while, but I understand what you are after. I have a custom Husqvarna M-8000 30-06 with that Brown stock. Weighs 7# fully loaded and with a 2-7 Leupold scope. It shoots MOA, and, without pressure signs, shoots a 180 gr. bullet at 2850 and a 165 Barnes at 3000. All the gun I'll ever need, for sure. Good luck with the project.

Last edited by JOE PA; 10-16-2009 at 06:37 PM.