HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 25-06
Thread: 25-06
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2009, 12:52 AM
HEAD0001
Nontypical Buck

The 25-06 is too big for the little stuff, and to small for the big stuff. It is an acceptable cartridge for deer hunting. But it is by no means a nominal deer cartridge.

The cartridge has too much recoil to be a day in day out varminter. And if you are looking for something for long range shooting then the 6.5 mm cartridge is a better choice over the 25 caliber.

I get flamed a good bit because I am not a quarter bore fan. And I have owned several of them. Including the 257 Wby. For me it just never had the proper mix of bullet, BC, velocity, and energy. There are way too many other choices out there, that are better choices.

I also do not like the fact that you are shooting a miniscule cartridge that still requires a long action??

And if recoil is an issue. Well then you are stuck in the middle again.

Also the ammo prices are ridiculous. Especially when you can buy 270 cartridges for less money. And the 25-06 is definitely no 270.

And to keep pouring it on. If you are a hand loader, there are less bullet choices in the 25 caliber. Adequate, yes. But not nominal(again). Tom.

Last edited by HEAD0001; 10-16-2009 at 12:57 AM.