HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Need advice on cold weather hunting gear
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2009, 05:53 PM
iSnipe
Nontypical Buck

Smile

For boots, and I know there are different out there now, but my LaCrosse Ice Kings I've had for about 10 years now have kept my feet toasty! One thing you don't want to do is get your feet too sweaty. You can help prevent this by leaving them open and loose until you get to your stand. If you get your feet sweaty, the build up of moisture will get your feet colder. You can tighten them after you get to your stand. Be sure to use polypropylene socks too as the base layer.

I was a hard core fanatical bowhunter and know the importance of warmth while not being all bulked up, so I was where you are now once too.

I like the poly's as well, but in colder weather, I'd double-up on the tops and bottoms. I would get the tops in the tall size so I can tuck them to keep cold air drafts away.

What would really help you is getting products from

This will stop the wind like nothing you've seen. Better than glass. LOL! I use the stuff and it's amazing how well it does to stop the wind.

You did ask about what's the best stuff out there for cold weather stand hunting. There are a few in that bunch, but Raven Wear comes to mind. It's spendy, but worth it.

A tip I'd like to give is that you can't rush to your stand. No matter what brand or amount of clothes you have on, if you get your base layers damp, you'll be getting cold sooner or later. That's why it's important to get base layers that wick the moisture from your skin. I'll give you an example of wicking...

Last year coming out of the woods from scouting, I knew I was getting warm. I had forgotten about it and eventually got back to my place. While taking off my tops, I had a thin jacket, a cotton long sleeve shirt and a polypropylene base. I couldn't understand why my cotton shirt was wet. ??!! It was due to the walking around I did. The poly wicked the sweat which was soaked up by the cotton shirt! My poly base top was dry!

So, if you can, pack some clothes in a backpack while going to your stand. Walk easy and at a slow pace. If you need to, take a 5 minute break to keep from over-heating. Once you get to your stand, you can cool off again, then get the rest of your clothes on. This will help keep your inner clothes dry. Hope that helps.

Oh, and they have battery heated socks too you may look into.

Stay warm.

iSnipe