HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bowhunting
Thread: Bowhunting
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2009, 04:45 PM
wayles
Spike

Default huntin

I'm a 66 year old Engineer [still workin] and have been bowhuntin and gunhuntin 57 years in 7 states [small game before they had deer seasons in okla.] Home made "bowdark" bow back then and dogwood arrows with hawk or buzzard wing feathers. No turkeys or geese around back then. If I was desperate one of Mom's chickins was going to get its wings clipped. Heads were hand forged/hand filed out of small rebar.[ Deer seasons started in the 50's in okla. You could hunt the entire season and not see a deer] . Took up muzzleloadin in the 70's when I realized they had started having separate seasons. Avid fisherman, trapper, 3d shooter, reloader, paper puncher Ect. I have lost 3 deer with a bow 1 with a rifle. Killed one of those bow shot deer with a muzzleloader that I had previously wounded. He was ruttin hard agin after recovering. I will be bowhuntin till I can't hit what I shoot at anymore or can't pull one heavy enough. I remember my first deer like it was yesterday and all of them since. [Beautiful, wily, wonderful critters] The thought of giving it up or quittin has never entered my mind. My oldest daughter Deer or elk hunts with me in one or two states each year. She has lost one deer to a rifle. We would not have lost that one but the land owner on his 4 wheeler was trying to be helpful and pushed the deer.
Wayles