HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Pulling out all of the stops!
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2009, 01:46 PM
Hoyt_Viper
Typical Buck

Default Pulling out all of the stops!

Im hunting prime land, getting in before sunup and staying in stand as still as can be. I have seen deer outside of my shooting distance, and some hidden under the leaves still on the trees on the lower canopy of sapplings.

I have been using my antlers doing some light "tickling" and even at times a litle more forceful to get the attention of bucks further away.

Im using fawn bleats, but nothing coming to investigate. Im hunting woods, field edges, and creek bottoms with lots of trails and good sign. I wash with scent wash, spray fequently and use the Scent away deadorant liberally.

I guess its too soon for any of the scents and agressive rattling, so whats everyone doing to get a shot. I tried stalking two does I caught heading to bed down by circling around and getting within 50 yards of a shot, but wasnt feeling confident in it to ethically harvest her.

Ambush, hunting bedding and not food sources...whats everyone doing to get a kill?

I guess the patterns will be changing in the next week or two and breeding will change the game, but Im almost wondering about my stand selections. Ive even been using my climber the last 3 hunts trying different areas.

I guess the weather also plays into it, so thank goodness the temp is dropping this week down into the 40's in the AM and 50's-low 60's in the afternoon. Hopefully this will get them moving in a pattern I can figure out!

Im sure Im not the only one in the lull, but I will take any strategies I havent tried already to get the first one under the belt.