HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Official Team Rut Nutz Thread (27)
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2009, 08:56 AM
Siman08/OH
Giant Nontypical

Fact.
My last bow kill was in November of 2007.
Since then i have missed a handful of deer, and lost 2. Im not proud, but it was a learning experience that i wouldn't trade for anything. Rewind to Wednesday evening, September 30th. Im on a newly hung stand overlooking a bean field and a pond. I have deer moving all night, and just before last light, a mature doe presents me a 30 yard broadside shot. I take it, and miss.
Great. More of the same.
Fast forward to Friday, October 2nd. I wake up to my pager going off for an MVA. After standing in the rain for 2 hours, i help my dad install a garage door on the fire department. 3 PM rolls around and i KNOW that i need to shoot my broadheads. I have to build up that confidence.
The results from 30 yards with the Rage practice heads:

Now that im 100% certain that i can shoot, I head back to my bean field stand. Here is the video of the entire night:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0Pj3ykZnFA[/URL]
To some it may be JUST a doe, but it was more then that for me. It was my first archery deer in almost 2 years, and only my 3rd overall. Probably the biggest confidence builder ive ever had
Also, the obvious secret to my success,
Hoyt bows, Sony cameras:

...and facepaint

The success pictures:

__________________________________________________ ________
Thats the story behind my kill....
After that hunt, my season totals read as follows:
4 hunts, 4 does, 4 fawns, 1 buck.
The next morning (Saturday), I hunted my ladder stand again and was disappointed with another deer-less sit. Thats now twice i have sat their and got skunked.
5 hunts, 4 does, 4 fawns, 1 buck.
On Sunday night, i hunted my "Funnel" stand for the first time. I had deer off to me left about 100 yards into the woods, but none came into view. I have never seen or heard more squirrels in my life then at this stand. It was ridiculous. On the way out i jumped 4 unknown deer, and then another unknown deer and a VERY NICE 2.5 year old buck. I watched him through my bino's for a bit at about 120 yards in the last moments of light before he bounded off. Looks to be in the 100-110" range.
6 hunts, 4 does, 4 fawns, 2 bucks, 5 unknown, 2 shots, 1 kill.