HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 300 Remington Ultra Mag or 300 Weatherby
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2009, 01:40 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by driftrider
I doubt that even 10% of the folks that frequent these boards shoot anywhere close to 2K rounds per year from bolt action rifles, though I'm sure there are a few, let alone that many from one particular rifle. Especially a big boomer like a RUM.

And I did say that the RUM has a "... small but real performance advantage over the Wby..." 150fps is a real advantage, but it is also less than 5%, making it a fairly small difference.

And yes, I have not owned a 300 RUM. I've shot one once, in an unbraked M700 XCR that probably weighed a fairly light 8.5-9lbs. It was a real kick in the nuts. I've not shot the 338 RUM, but, hey, go big or go home, right?! Of course, were it my 338 RUM, it'd be sporting a muzzlebrake and a Limbsaver pad for sure, and I'd also be wearing my PAST pad at the range, too!

As for the freebore... I stand corrected.

As for barrel life... I guess a person just has to deal with fast throat erosion as a consequence of extreme performance.

Mike

Maybe your right, I just assumed regulars visting guns forum would shoot alot. I see the same folks every week on the range.

338RUM is my limit of comfort myself.