HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 300 Remington Ultra Mag or 300 Weatherby
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2009, 05:09 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by driftrider
I think that I'd choose the 300 RUM of the two, or better yet, the 338 RUM. The RUM is going to be cheaper to shoot, handload or not (and you should seriously consider handloading if you shoot any big magnum), the RUM has a small but real performance advantage over the Wby, and it's not going to smoke a barrel any faster if you take care not to let them get too hot. The reality is that most people will never shoot out a RUM's barrel in their lifetime. Big magnums, for most of us, are not high volume target rifles. They get shot a few times a year and put away. Maybe 50 shots a year, which with a 1200 round barrel life, would last you 24 years before you'd see a noticile reduction in accuracy. If it was a shooter before this the reduction will probably not even be so much as to make it useless as a hunting rifle for most purposes. And if you are like Ridge Runner and have the skills, time, money and patience to become a serious long range hunter, changing a barrel is similar to a race car driver changing out a set of tires. A $400-500 rebarrelling job is cheap compared to the cost of a serious LR rifle to begin with.

As for freebore length, I can't imagine that the RUM has all that much less than the Weatherby. The truth is that more freebore gives higher velocities at perhaps, but not always, a small cost to accuracy.

Mike
Mike I usually agree with what you say for the most part, but its obvious here, you have not owned a RUM. I have owned 3. Your wrong on several accounts. I bet most on here shoot more than 2-3K rounds a year. And I can push a RUM to blow the doors off a weatherby by 150fps. Lastly, you will see .5" freebore in a weatherby and .1 for a RUM. I don't know about you, but 5X is a lot. If you ever shot a 338RUM, you will remember it. I felt it was much more brutal than a 338win mag.