HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What are the 5 biggest hunting myths?
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2009, 11:51 AM
earnabuck
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Steve863
I highly doubt the buck would approach your stand in the same fashion it does during bowseason when they are unharassed.
If you were gun hunting you might have never seen these bucks because of the many more hunters in the woods moving the deer, and if you did happen to see one it might be while its hightailing out of the county. It's your choice that you are limiting yourself with a bow, but don't make it look like bowhunting is the more superior form of hunting because it's not. I myself put a lot of value into quick and humane kills. I think the expert rifleman will have way better chances in putting the deer down for keeps in comparison to the expert archer. Just because one chooses a more lethal weapon shouldn't make him any less of a hunter. Some people give priority to the surer kill with a firearm over these great challenges that bowhunters think they have. I surely do.
Where did I say bowhunting is superior, I said its more difficult, you construe that more difficult means superior. I couldn't care less how a person hunts an animal. Point is I may see 15 bucks during the rut while bowhunting. 2 of them maybe shooters and 1 I may get a shot at. If riflehunting (which I also do) I may see 1 or 2 bucks if I am lucky...and there is a good chance that I will get a shot at them. I will take an ethical shot either way bowhunting or gunhunting, but the fact is pointing a scope at the vitals and pulling the trigger generally results in a harvested deer. While bow hunting there are more factors, such as yardage, if you miss your yardage you may shoot over or under a deer, and you have to worry about staying steady while drawn back. Believe me I started rifle hunting and did that for 10 years before I picked up a bow, I just like being in the woods and doing both gives more more opportunity to do that.