HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What are the 5 biggest hunting myths?
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2009, 04:15 AM
Steve863
Nontypical Buck

I hunt in NY also. It is way easier to get hunting access for bowhunters than it is for gun hunters. That in itself gives the bowhunter a great advantage. I have also seen way more deer during bowseasons than I ever do during gun season which is also a plus for the bowhunter. The bowhunters who hunt the suburban areas (and many bowhunters have never hunted in any other type of environment!) will get to see a good many deer at spitting distances. Some still fail to take deer which is due basically because the bowhunter is either not a great shot or because the bow in reality isn't that great of a weapon. In my mind the biggest factor in being a successful hunter is having access to good spots and being able to make the kill when the deer shows up. The bowhunters surely have the advantage with the access but many still fail to kill deer due to a bows limitations. Just because bowhunters choose to hunt with a weapon with limited range should not make them feel superior in hunting ability. If they had no other choice and had to hunt where many gun hunters have to, they would be humbled and realize that the advantages of a rifle or shotgun can be quickly diminished when there are many fewer deer to shoot at.