HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What are the 5 biggest hunting myths?
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2009, 10:30 AM
DeerandbearhoG
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by aharper33
since i am kind of new to hunting and have been learning over the last few years of what is maybe more true than other here is my list of myths i have come up with.

myth 1
a $400 gun will kill a deer just as dead as a $5000 gun - first not everyone can afford a $5000 gun and if it is a new person on a forum like this it might turn them away if they are told that they need a $5000 gun to get started.

myth 2
camo is a mandatory thing to kill a deer - i dont have any proof but i bet as many deer are killed each year in jeans than in full camo

myth 3
cheap scopes dont work - they may not last a lifetime but they will usually last as long as you take care of them.

here are just a few i have come up with
Not argueing w/ you Id just like to adress what is stated here.

1)I have never heard someone on this forum, or any other, claim or make an argument that you "need" a 5000$ anything, to kill a deer. In fact most positive gun reviews on this forum are for mossbergs, marlins, tikkas, H&R and savage.

2) I guarantee most hunters these days, wear some sort of camo even when theyre not hunting. Im sure it happens, but in all the years Ive hunted, Ive never seen anyone wearing blue jeans while hunting, and I live in NY. When I go to texas, the whole town walks around in camo clothes in july! Could you kill a deer wearing jeans and a carhart jacket? sure, but you better hope the deer dont get too close and its not raining, or below 40 degress

3) Whats a cheap scope? To some people its a 200$ scope,There are many decent scopes in the 100-200$ range that will hold up to heavy recoil, field abuse and give clear enough sight picture. to me, a cheap scope is one that comes in a plastic clam shell, has hot glued on emblems, flimsey adjustments, blurry wavey optics, and generally obvious poor quality. Putting a 30$ POS on a heavy recoiling 12 ga, or even a 3006 is just asking for trouble. A scope is too important a tool to skimp on, especially when a much better one can be had for 120$