HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - preferred crops for deer
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2009, 01:15 AM
turkey guide
Fork Horn

Yes thank you, I understand that easily digestable starch is generally good. I also read that starch content is the name of the game for making grain more fermentable. As a home brewer, trust me I know this. For my still this corn is great! Only my product is not denatured, which is a horrible thing to do to alcohol.
I also read where companies like pioneer are all about engineering the highest starch content possible to make your grain better for ethanol production. Also where harvesting and storing the grain is as important as growing it to protect that starch content from mold.
Starch is simply stuck together glucose molecules, but it is very difficult to digest unless it is processed. We cook it and that helps break it down to where we can digest it. As far as I know animals have few if any recipes for cooking their corn before they eat it and so I wonder if they can't digest it what nutrition can they get from undigested food? Maybe deer digest starches differently from us and differently from say horses which do not handle high starches well at all according to what reading I've done on the subject. I'm just asking for input here and not stating any facts to disagree with. Specifically, early in my post I asked if anyone knew of any studies on this?
The corn eaten to the ground statement is something I've noticed lately too in my area. There is no doubt they will eat it and possibly they have to eat more of it, to gain the same nutrition, as possibly it is less digestable to them. They may have to destroy (eat) more corn to get the nutrition they need. It may be the most nutritious food on the planet, but if it passes through your system without being fully digested what good is it? You might eat nonstop until you starve to death.
My point is ethanol production has taken over as the number one reason to grow corn and we all may suffer in one way or another. Often long term effects are not known until, well, the end of a long term.
Genetically engineered crops have been around longer than most of us and are not necessarily all bad or all good either, but they are generally safe. The thing is science has tried to balance higher yields with pest and disease resistence, with digestibility so that the animals it's fed to get the most out of it, until now. If it was never meant for animal feed, it probably is not the best animal feed. I simply suggest that maybe a huge change suddenly in the corn crops being introduced (up to 7% more starch if I remember my reading correctly)may not be so good for deer. Not that they won't like it or won't eat it, they may seem to love it and destroy the crops at three times the usual rate. I eat plenty of things I know aren't good for me and love em. You should see how fast I destroy a box of twinkies!

Last edited by turkey guide; 09-28-2009 at 01:30 AM.