HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Low pressure 45-70 or 45LC load for deer?
Old 09-27-2009, 07:38 PM
driftrider
Nontypical Buck

I think that it's, quite frankly, a patently stupid idea to load smokeless in a ML not designed to shoot smokeless powder. The results you get could be very unpredictable and possibly EXTREMELY dangerous. If you do so, it's at your own risk and anyone with half a brain wouldn't suggest you try such a thing.

Don't get me wrong, I' m a strong proponent of smokeless muzzleloading, but ONLY with ML's designed and proofed to shoot smokeless loads. I'm talking about the Savage 10ML and ML-II, as the 10ML-II is currently the only factory production ML rifle safe to shoot smokeless powder through. There are others, but they are custom and semi-custom rifles not readily available to the average hunter.

If you want near-smokeless performance and convenience with your current rifle, I'd suggest that you try Blackhorn 209. It is, for all intents and purposes, smokeless powder, but it's designed to be used as a volumetric BP substitute in inline ML's, and is supposed to be safe in all ML's. It might be hard to find and is very expensive, but it should be safe.

Mike