HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Brand new Mathews Black Max 2 bare bow, what do I need to hunt?!?!
Old 09-24-2009, 10:21 AM
LittleChief
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by woodshed
Now we're talking, how about brand suggestions. Are Treelimb quivers good? I don't really wanna spend alot on a Mathews two piece, it's just a quiver after all. How about the Truglo Pendulum sight for treestand hunting? What is a good rest to look at, stabilizer? I think I like the loop style of nocking point. Peep sight?

Scott
Coming from a Mathews shooter who has the Mathews 2 piece quiver - pass on it. I'd recommend an Alpine Soft Lok quiver. Easy and quiet on and off, two clip points so you don't have to stick your broadheads into foam. Not too expensive.

Definitely a peep sight and a string loop.

If I were in your shoes and didn't want to spend a ton of money, I'd also buy: (remember - just my opinion)

Arrows: Gold Tip XT Hunter 5575 arrows (assuming you're around a 29" (+/- 1") draw length)

Fletch with wraps and blazers. If you ever end up stripping and fletching your own, you'll come to love arrow wraps.

Broadheads: 100 grain broadheads of your choice and field points. If you intend to shoot mechanical heads, you still need some fixed blade heads to tune your bow with. That is important. I shoot Grim Reaper mechanicals, but my bow is tuned to shoot fixed blades.

A good release. There are a lot of good ones out there. I use a Scott Sabretooth

A target. You've gotta practice before you can hunt. Well, you've gotta practice before you can hunt effectively anyway.

If I were you, I wouldn't skimp too much on the rest and the sight if at all possible. If you do, you'll probably be buying another before too long. Personally, and again it's just my opinion, I like a good drop-away. There are too many choices to list for good sights. Just don't shortchange yourself. My Drenalin has a Mathews Convertible HD dropaway rest and I have a Viper H1000 sight on it. Nothing outrageous, but not bad at all.

Personally, I know nothing about stabilizers. I don't even know the brand name of the one on my bow off the top of my head.

Whatever you end up with, I wish you the best of luck.