HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My Bow Press
Thread: My Bow Press
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2009, 07:49 PM
jellio5
Spike

Default My Bow Press

My objective was to come up with something cheap, easy, and effective that most anyone could build themselves.

This press is made out of a bar clamp from Harbor Freight.

While you can't change limbs with this press I have no problem changing strings and doing all other bow work with this. All told I have about less than $20 into this.

I have to admit I didn't come up with this design only modified it to fit my needs. Hope this helps some of you out there.

The fingers are made of 2"x 1/4" steel with a 1" slot cut and a slight bend in the fingers to craddle the limbs of the bow. I welded a 1 inch piece of pipe on the crank end because it works a little better with that modification, but isn't absolutely necessary. 1 inch pipe fits pretty dang well over ¾ inch pipe with very little fitting.

I bought some of the plasti dip from Menards and that was used to cover the fingers and I used half inch ID radiator hose for stops.

I made a few other small modifications on the original clamp (just because that's the way I am), but they aren't necessary for function.

I also drilled holes on the no clamp side with a pin just in case it wants to slip but it hasn't been a problem yet.
Attached Images