HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Official Team Surpass Thread (37)
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2009, 11:57 AM
youngfart
Typical Buck

Will
Great to see you succeded and got your Oxen, can't wait to hear the story. My HUnt for lopes and southern mulies went brutal!!! Why you say??? LMAO I've never had the problem of having to hunt when it's hot,and I mean hot,I lost 15lbs in 5 days.
Actually drew on a 140ish mulie that took me 2 hours to get too, then another 2 hour wait till he stood up at 12 yards ,I decided to pass. That I will have to be able to put up with for the rest of the year and am actually having a hard time eating tag soup on him.
The killer was my lope, after having stalked 31 tries and cursing the dang sun and heat,I actually was getting closer than the usal 100 yards I was getting used too.. Actully I wasn't getting used to it. Anyways I started out at 400 yards away and proceeded to cross the open flats our southern province is famous for. 2 Hours later I was with in 100 yards and I just about gave up then as I was soaked right through from my small 20 yard yaunts.
Well The last 100 yards I skidded along on my ass and hands with my bow in front of me ,now no longer with my lope decoy. Yeah go ahead ,cry me a tune,LMAO. Well after closing another 40 yards and thinking if only I can get another 20 ,then I can try a shot.Ranged him at 73 yds and up stands the doe and just as she stood I got bit on my butt as I was dragging it. By what ??? I was to scared to look,well I reached back and thought I just got bit on my fingers. Dang cactus the size of a bottle cap was logged in my crack. Wow! I have the doe looking straight at me and a brutal pain searing in my butt. I reach back and actually feel like Im prying it out of my butt.
Doe beds back down looking away from me know!! NOw I make tracks and pull out the range finder and it says 46yds. I dra
w and whistle, they both stand ,he turns broadside ,Like it was for me!!!!!!! I touch my release and watch it it go underneath of him. I was pissed man, I took of my coat which was soaked right through.Threw it on the ground and laid my bow down and re ranged the spot he was on.
Man he only scooted 20 yards away and they were both looking at me like what did I just do ,LMAO. Well my quiver was 70 yards back so I walk back to it and pick it up and walk back.All the time they kept starring at me, DAWwww. Just for a laugh I reach down and take out another arrow all the time knowing they'll bolt before I can get it strung. Nope it didn't happen.
I range them again and this time I'm standing. it reads 64 yrds. I draw and release and watch the arrow fly to the right of him and he takes another few steps. I've had it now ,flames were comming out of my butt, so In desperation I string another arrow and fling it at 70yards and it went over his back and they then bolted as it sounded close to his back as it went over him.
I gave it my best shot as an individule and found out that it's always better as a couple when hunting Antelope. It was easy when my bud was here last time. Some will say why not sit close to a watering hole,well this year they for some reason had water every where. I actually did sit 1/2 a day by a watering favorite spot but to no avail. I packed up yesterday morning and drove the 6 hours north and made it on time for my daughters 25 th bday, boy was she delighted to see her ole man.
What I found out on this trip was I could actually stock a deer with out much of a problem and really enjoyed the challenge. It was a great hunt and I know what to expect next time I head south for lopes and mulies. Hope I didn't boar you on the long story. Tonight I'll head out for a shot a one our great whitetails were noted for having up here in the bow zone.

Rocky