HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - ran into some fawns
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2009, 08:27 AM
52DeerHuntingTips
Spike

That has happened to me a couple of times as well. The closest I have gotten is actually a funny story.

About 5 of my buddies and I were walking through this cropped corn field late one evening in the pitch black and not paying any attention. As we were walking we were startled when 3 fawns come prancing right in front of us out of nowhere as if the were just playing and having the times of their lives or something. They didn't even acknowledge us even after a couple of us said, "WHOA, what the hell?" lol

After that we kind of went into hunter stalking mode and watched what was going on. All we had as light was the moon and a little pen flashlight. About 10 yards from where the fawns crossed in front of us my buddy that was in the lead was taking slow easy steps when I noticed what looked like a big rock laying on the ground.

I whispered to my buddy to watch out for the rock and just as he got within arms reach of the rock it uncurled and stood up looking right at us. It was momma and I bet she was saying "WHOA, what the hell?"

We all just stopped and stood there waiting to see what she would do I guess and she just looked at us and then took off like a bat out of hell. No noise or anything, she just turned around and took off. That was it.

We sat around the campfire and talked about that the whole weekend. It was a very cool experience to almost step on a sleeping deer and then have it just look you in the eye as if to say "Man, what the heck is wrong with you?" :-)