HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Questioning Myself in Regard to Son's Hunting Season... Any Advice?
Old 08-31-2009, 04:39 AM
Ava
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Sniggle
I would say that you first need to understand why he is having the problems at school. Is he capable of learning in a standard classroom environment? Is it his friends? Are you making him do his homework each day? Are you reviewing all his completed work and making him correct errors?

That being said, if the hunting is the premier father-son bonding time between you two, maybe instead of elminating that you should look for ways to get to know your son and understand what he is going through as you prepare and go on the hunt.
He wouldn't bring homework home. He said he did it in school. Kinda hard to get it when my work schedule kept me at work and the school closed. I'm on a different job this year so I could probly make adjustments as needed as far as homework goes and getting it to the kitchen table but if I can't, he should. He's 14 years old.

I believe he felt last year and years prior that school was like a big daycare center for him. I tried to explain to him that it wasn't.

He has an IEP so he does get one on one time throughout the day and some classes have two teachers to 20 kids.

On the work that he did bring home, I'd have to hold his hand and go through the books and point out what he needed. I'd say, here's a paragraph that may have the answer, let's read it and he'd get mad. He says that he doesn't have to do the homework cuz he can get most of his points from test BUT!!! he also gets graded on homework. Boy, you can't do the test if you don't get the info from the homework. He passed by the skin of his teeth with D's and E's and was also reccommend to summer school.

Like I said before, I HOPE he does better this year! I can do my part, which I have, but he needs to do his part too.

Also wanted to add that he is well liked by all. Very compassionate and considerate of others. Very loving child! He's also has the best laugh. BTW, I'm his momma.

I really want him to go hunting. It's not that I want to take it away and hog my dad all to myself. My hubby doesn't hunt. I'm still trying to find what makes him tick...

I may be going at it all wrong though. I'm human, that's why I'm asking.