HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Public land strategy
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2009, 07:16 AM
Jackson Marsh
Spike

I'd recommend pulling up the state land on google earth and determineing where the access points are. Using google earth find the dead center of the state land(the farthest from all the access points) and be set up there. If is a mile walk so much the better. Most hunters don't go past a quarter mile from the access points. Find a place to set up and try to sit all day. Bring warm clothes, food and a thermos of coffee. Last year I did the same thing on state land in Wisconsin and killed a 9 pointer at 10:50 am. Once the morning shooting dies down and hunters are dragging there deer out and/or going back to the truck for lunch the action should heat up. Mine was killed on the second to last day of our 9 day gun firearms season, so he had survived the first weekend onslaught be going deep into the thick swamp. You can get the gps coordinates for the center of the state land you plan too hunt off of google earth. It would be a good idea to pre scout it to make sure the terrain and cover are reasonable. If you can walk in a mile or so and be in some thick stuff you should have some action.

Good Luck