HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Public land strategy
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2009, 06:57 AM
dr. bullseye
Spike

Default Public land strategy

I am hunting public land in south/central Indiana this year, rifle and ML seasons. I know things can get a bit crowded, and so I'm having a bit of difficulty deciding where I want to focus my scouting. It's hilly terrain, lots of trees without a ton of brush. I think it will open up even more once the leaves start falling.

Should I stay on the periphery of the state forest land, near the private farms, or should I go as deep as I can hoping to have the other hunters drive the deer towards me? There's oak trees all over, so I'm not convinced that the deer need to be near the fields for good eats.

Also, should I be focusing my time more on the ridges, or down in the ravines? Most of the tracks I've seen have been in the dried up creek beds in the bottoms, but I still plan on getting out there atleast 2 or 3 times before the season starts. The elevation only varies by about 300 ft, so we're not talking mountains here.

I'm also planning on hunting off the ground here. I'm good with my ML out to about 150 yds, so I'm not too concerned about being real close. This is only my second time out hunting, and last year was out west, so completely different deer and terrain. I'll probably get an antlerless tag, too just to give me the option. I just want to get something, doesn't have to be a bruiser. Thanks for the help.