HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - buying a premium big game rifle?
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2009, 04:30 AM
Folically Challenged
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by coreyw
i am about to buy a premium big game rifle. I have looked around, and I think that I have found the set up that I can't go wrong with. although it will set me back around $3,700.00 I think this maybe the best rifle in its class. It is a Weatherby Mark V Deluxe chambered in 300 wby mag. The scope is the Leupold VX-7 4.5-18x56mm. I know it is pricey but I think it will be the only big game rifle I will ever need(not want), and a great heirloom.
I was just curious whats your idea of A perfect big game rifle? i would like to hear it, and what do think about mine? I will post pics when I bring her home
What do I think about your perfect rifle? If you it's perfect for you, it's perfect for you! There's nothing it won't kill, that's for sure!

All the posts so far just go to show that "perfect" is an elusive target, and that there are always tradeoffs. They also show that we're all individuals, and I think that's what makes this country so great!

When I think "perfect", I skew quite heavily toward a personal connection with a gun. If someone from an earlier generation of my family has hunted with a rifle, it soars to the top of the heap. I'm amazed every time I hunt with the Remington .22 that my Dad took his 1st rabbit with, or the .410 he used to put quail on the family table in Texas in the 1940's. If a gun was used on a particularly memorable hunt, or took an especially amazing animal, it gets that much closer to "perfection" for me.

There's a Griffin & Howe custom mauser in the family that was purchased by my Great Grandfather from Abercrombie & Fitch in NYC (back before they started selling gay sex in the shopping malls...). It's a 7x57, wearing a 2.5x Lyman scope. It's been on mountainsides & in scabbards in Alaska, BC, AB, WY, and MT. It has taken many dozens of fine trophies (including a bull elephant, in Indiana!). It has nicks & scratches to tell the tale of it's nearly 80 years of hunting use. There are certainly fancier rifles out there, chambered for bigger or faster cartridges, wearing vastly superior optics, that shoot far more accurately. But to me, that rifle will always be "perfect".

FC