HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best Flying Fixed heads
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2009, 05:08 PM
dryridge2
Spike

If I were looking at fixed blades. My vote would be slick trick.

Cut on contact, Magnus. I tested these for Mike Sohms and seeing the Rev. say he could drill and apple at 60yds. reminded me that when I tested the then New Stinger heads, I shot a 7% NIBB out of my Hoyt Carbon Pro Medalist at 50yds using my 6X Toxonics scope. I then screwed in my favorite Mech. head and shot at the same spot. Next, you guessed it already...came the Stinger 100gr. screwed into the same shaft as the others. I actually shaved a fletch and a strip of carbon off the Nibb tipped arrow, without breaking said nibbed shaft. That tells me 2 things. One it actually flew better than the Mechanical, repeated in 2 more rounds just like the one listed. Second. It was so sharp it actually cut that carbon arrow without breaking it, and it cut into the hollow core most of the way from the middle of a 2" fletch to the back of of glue in tip. THIRD, it was aso strong it did not even mar the edge when it hit the back of the stainless steel glue in tip. Now in all fairness I am certain that the 47# draw and small diameter round wheel allowed that arrow to have an excess of force when it hit that glue in at 50yds after having sliced nearly the full length of an arrow.

Magnus did not pay me nor did they provide me with more than that one pack of heads. However, I still have 2 and they have accounted for many dead critters. One of which is my sons 500 plus pound hog (scale only went to 500) at left he took some years back. The hunt was his HS Graduation present. One shot at full charge and it was down in 8 secs.

Can you tell I like Magnus?

That said there are tons of good heads and no one can stay in the game these days without making a good head. You as a consumer are too smart now-a-days, and the glowing box keeps them very honest.....how would Magnus do if I spewed nasty about them. Mike took that chance. I say look them over and pick a couple designs from reputable manufacturers that have been around a while and then come back and get advice on those couple. OR just pick one of the ones that get all thumbs up. Chances are you will like them as well.

Oh, and whoever said Muzzy's can be finicky or whatever adjective was chosen....I AGREE! I'd stay away, but that's just me and one other guy, so use your head and post pics of those kills!