HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Help choosing a hunting rifle
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2009, 07:57 AM
Blackelk
Typical Buck

Txhunter58,

There is a major difference in a calibers preformance at 12,000 ft vs 1000 ft in elevation.

About 300 or more ft lbs and about 4" less drop at 500yds. 12,000ft can make a standard 270 win factory load into a Hornady light magnum class just in elevation for longer ranges.

It increases the power and trajectory of your caliber enough that you'll hit a tad higher on the animal even if you sighted in at 8000 or 9000 ft of elevation.

I can't post the results of the tables on here some reason it won't let me do that but here's a link. http://www.biggameinfo.com/BalCalc.aspx

That will give you an idea if you put in the same information except change the elevation. It's only a guideline but I know for a fact there's a major transformation in bullet preformance and trajectories in higher elevation.

I usually don't get into the battle of the bulge when it comes to caliber debates. I'm a hand loader for one and that's a whole different preformance level when it comes to caliber vs caliber. My 270 win loads will out preform most standard 7mm mag factory loads. But for me it's not a battle of the bulge but what I want a caliber to preform at for me.

Most calibers today and ammunition have the capability to cleanly kill game at 500yds, but the problem is that most hunters haven't developed the shooting skills to do so ethically 9 out of 10 times. And if people are gonna shoot those ranges they should practice them and not wait till the bull of a lifetime is standing in the open and you can't get no closer.

I hope i was helpful.