HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Stillhunting deer....any success?
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2009, 02:44 AM
trmichels
Fork Horn

I knew a guy, who said he learnd a vaulable lesson from an old Indian, on hunting. Whether you want to call it still hunting or not, he said - move at such a slow pace, that you aren't moving in on the deer, let it move in on you.

While I dont' necessarily feel you have to let the deer move in on you, because it may be moving - but going away from you - move slow enough that you detect the deer, before it detects you. I love doing this after a new snow, combining tracking, still-hunting and stalking.

I also believe in moving when the wind blows, and I picked that tactic up years ago when I was guiding for elk near Chama, New Mexico. Walk with the wind in your face, or quartering your face, walk when the wind blows, watch where you step, keep your eyes open, and your ears focused, and most importantly (if you don't want to waste a lot ot time, ask yourself, "Where would I be today, under these weather conditions, if I were a deer?" And then go there.

Learn everythng you can about deer behavior, so you know where to expect deer, at what time of the day, when it is nice, cold, snowy, hot, windy or wet, during the different phases of the rut and post rut, and you will at least see a lot more deer.

I'd post an article on this from my book, but I don't want to hijack sosmeone else's thread.

God bless and good hunting,

T.R.