HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Stillhunting deer....any success?
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2009, 04:59 PM
skybuster20ga
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SouthernBuckFever
Yeah I won't go in depth as much as Crokit did but that was a really good post. The factor for me most of the time is the leafs. Wet, dry, or in between is a huge factor, I'm not going to walk if the leaves are really really dry because its almost impossible....but I've tried. I think no matter how slow you go when the leaves are really crunchy you'll get caught, unless the deer is dumb. When the leaves are wet then I like to go a pretty good pace, I want to cover as much ground as possible. When the leaves are in between wet and dryI'll slow it down a tad and slowly let my boots down on top of the leaves and stop every 20 yards for about 20 seconds and listen very closely for anything moving. You cancall this skill or whatever but a lot of its luck. You just have to be lucky enough that that one step that makes the decision to walk down or up that ridge besides walking on the road is the right decision. Thats been the case for me a lot of times.....if I hadn't decided to just take that extra 10-20 minutes to walk the hard way besides walking the road and making it easy on myself I wouldn't have harvested any of those bucks. We've all done it, we would all be suprised what monster buck or trophy we've walked by that was just 20 yards off from where we were in the woods, you have to be lucky and make the right decisions. Knowing your land inch by inch helps a lot while youdo this to and knowing where fresh rubs and scarpes are at also. Thats another thing that is so great about stillhunting, you find rubs and learn that a buck is using that trial hot n heavy, meaning move the stands if the rubs are big. Thanks for the replies and keep them coming, once agian paitence paitence paitence, thats what you need for success in stillhunting and making the right decesions.

thats a pretty common myth. all those deer ive tracked on crust and shot on crunchy days must have been "really dumb"

the fact of the matter is deer are curious creatures. most often will hold tight and try to let you walk by. on crunchy days the trick is in the speed at which you hunt. you cant sneak or try to sneak along when its crunchy. you need to hunt at a steady pace. fast enough to keep a slight steady rythom but slow enouygh so you scanning left to right the best you can. by sneaking you giving them too mcuh time to think about their exit routes. if you go along steady lots of times they will hold their position and wait to see what you are. if you sitting in the woods you cant tell if it is a man or a deer coming along if its moving at a steady to slow walk. neither can they. this thread cracks me up w/ some of the train of thought here. i needed some amusment. thanks