HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Mini 14...I was wrong!
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2009, 06:03 AM
DeerandbearhoG
Nontypical Buck

Default Mini 14...I was wrong!

Hate to bash the mini, its a very reliable, and well made rifle but recently I posted in a mini 14 thread, that I thought minis get a bad rap in the accuracy dept. I said that I could get 2 MOA groups easily w/ a scope...boy was I wrong! At the range this weekend I mounted a cheap but reliable bushnell scope, that I have used on several other guns and know holds its zero. I used wolf(to sight in), ultra max and my own handloads to test my own claims. I could not get this rifle to shoot under a 4" group at 100 yds. Groups were more like patterns actually. I could have sworn this rifle had shot better in the past ,but mabye I was shooting at 50yds.
This gun is a great gun for close range shooting and home defense, but I think a 12ga is more appropriate for those tasks. For hunting yotes and woodchucks or reliably hitting any target, smaller than a milk carton, at 100yds or more, the mini just doesnt give me much confidence anymore.
Im considering replacing my mini 14 w/ either a:

RRA AR15 -kind of more $ than I want to spend on a rifle right now, and really dont like cleaning guns everytime I shoot them and prefer guns than require less maintience, but the accuracy and aftremarket options appeal to me.

remington 7615 (223 pump ,uses AR15 mags) Accuracy reports are good and the rifle cost less than half what an AR15 cost. Dont know if Ill like a pump rifle though, seems like it might be awkward to shoot in certain positions.

What do you guys use for varmints and plinking other than bolt guns?

Thanks in advance.