HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Brass getting stuck in sizing die, whats up
Old 07-03-2009, 04:48 AM
dkbs
Fork Horn

Default Brass getting stuck in sizing die, whats up

Hello
Thanks in advance for any input. I'm kind of new to reloading, have been doing it just under one year and I've come across a problem that I've never experienced before.
When reloading my 30-06 brass, all of which have been picked up spent at a public shooting range, I tumble them, deprime them(with a universal depriming die), clean the primer pocket and then after using a little lube on the necks(inside and out) Irun them through the resizing, depriming RCBS die. I set the die so it just touches the shellholder in its highest position.

The last inch or so it becomes harder than normal to get the arm of the press pulled down, but I can do it. Twice when pulling the arm back up the shellholder has ripped the brass edging away from the case, leaving the case stuck in the die. Obviously the shell was pressed to hard into the die and heres my question, Why? I've probably reloaded these cases before and until this time have never experienced this problem. The problem seems to be the whole batch and not one or two cases, though some are definitely harder. I can't read the labeling on the brass once its ripped off to see what brand that particular case it was. Though it definitely is 30-06.

I have to take the stuck case to work, use the drill press to drill out the case just enough to get an easy out in and by putting the die in a vise and using a big cresent wrench remove the brass. Very carefully so as not to touch the inside of the die.

I have been reading about neck sizing only dies? Should I being using these instead of a full length die.

Sorry for the long post.
Thanks
Dan