HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Coyotes from treestand problems?
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2003, 12:19 PM
Woody116

Default RE: Coyotes from treestand problems?

Does that mean you will never run into an officer with an opposite interpretation. No! If you do, you have two choices;

1) Advise the officer that you have confirmed that the code does not apply to hunting coyotes (or fox, or other forbearing animals) from a tree stand, but that you will not argue the law in the field. Tell him or her that you will politely accept a citation and present your argument in court.

Not trying to start anything here, but this answer came from above the local ISP office. I went to Springfield orginally with my question, and this answer came several months later after a review by legal. I realize that this is a very gray area, which is the whole reason that I went to this level. Having worked in the Law Enforcement Profession for many years, I too understand that some laws are outdated and need to be changed. That does not, however, change the fact that they are still there.

The whole purpose of this post was to make others aware that it exists. Do I think that there is a good possibility of one getting a ticket? More than likely, no. But, if one were to take the second method you described, I can pretty much promise that there will be a ticket written.