HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What are the benifits of singl cam,1.5 cam,dual cam
Old 08-11-2003, 05:45 AM
Straightarrow

Default RE: What are the benifits of singl cam,1.5 cam,dual cam

They will all shoot well when tuned properly. A two cam is probably the ultimate when tuned to perfection, in regards to accuracy, and is generally perferred by target shooters. However, in my experince, few hunters know how to time one and a surprising number of bow shops do not know how to either. With today' s modern string materials, this isn' t as much of a problem as it was in the past, but when one is out of time, it will usually shoot terrible. A single cam does not have to be timed, though the cam usually is most efficient in a particular position. String creep will move the string nock down, so periodically you have to check it' s position. Once again, a well made, modern string will reduce the need to worry about this. Nock travel can be an issue on some single cams, however an out-of-time 2-cam has the same issue. Single cams tend to be quieter than 2 cam bows, however this gap is narrowing all the time.

I don' t have any long term experience with the hybrid cams, but it appears that they may be the best of both worlds. Timing is less critical than a 2-cam, and nock travel is probably better than most single cams. With the exception of the Darton, which is not a top 5 bow company (numbers sold), they are relatively new and I think a lot of their advantages and disadvantages are yet to be fully understood. At this time, Darton, Hoyt and Merlin and the only companies I know that are offering the hybrid cams.

I suggest you choose your bow, less on cam type, and more on how the bow holds, the feel of the grip, and how well you like the draw cycle. Good luck on your search.