HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Too many does an how to hold buck on 34 acer woods
Old 06-23-2009, 03:06 PM
treboryerf
Typical Buck

Default RE: Too many does an how to hold buck on 34 acer woods

Surely all 30 deer don't reside solely on your 34 acres,there must be neighboring land these deer are also utilizing.With that said a food plot won't hurt,also you must define what is a trophy deer for the area you are hunting,you mentioned a 125ish inch buck that you passed,are there many deer in your area that are killed each year that exceed that or are your expectations unrealistic for your hunting area,you can't manage for trophy deer on 34 acreas unless all of your neighbors are doing it also,I mean what will happen if your neighbor sees that same 125" deer",is he going to pass on him also? You still need to thin the does out though and I would kill as many of them as the law allows before the rut in your area,that just might make it a little harder for that buck to find a willing doe and then you can concentrate on hunting where the does are and you will see some bucks,but the main thing is I don't think you have much hope in growing big bucks with your current hunting situation.