HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - qdm=loss of hunting skills?
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2003, 08:00 PM
vtbuckrulrss
Fork Horn

Default RE: qdm=loss of hunting skills?

hey dan, yes, that would leave a bad taste in my mouth, too. driving is how i got my first buck at 15? a nice 7, 157 on my birthday, so maybe that' s why i like it so much, at times. i don' t like it when people rely on it soley as a method of hunting, combined with sitting in the morning and at night.but i must say, it sounds like the way that my family does drives differs from the way most others conduct them.. we respect posted property, keep them strictly to our and adjacent landowners property( my family has been in the area since 1930, so we know most everyone), and NO POTS AND PANS. we walk normally through the woods, with people stategically placed at the far side of the area, and half walk, half hunt our way to the other side, quietly, and always with the wind at our backs. and never will we do it untill at least late morning, early afternoon. i guess the skill part, if you want to call it that, is knowing where the deer will go, how they will react, and where they are likely to be at that time of day. but, you hunt an area that long, you are bound to know what they are going to do. maybe we are just the exception to the rule in terms of respecting other hunters in the area, i don' t know.