HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - qdm=loss of hunting skills?
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2003, 08:54 AM
vtbuckrulrss
Fork Horn

Default RE: qdm=loss of hunting skills?

hey jeffHAHAHAHAH, QDMA, HAHAHAHAHAHAH. i just got an e-mail back from the state, and this out to really put those here in vt' s ( not directed at you, rob) panties in a twist. apparently we are at the higher end of our carrying capacity of deer, yet many people say that they don' t ever see deer. to knock down our deer herd to get it closer to a qdm acceptable capacity, that would mean shooting more does, yet the state has been cutting back on issueing doe permits. something isn' r making sense here, if we need to protect the wintering habitat, shoot does, but take the amount of permits away at the same time? anyone understand that logic? rob, i know that many people question the ratio, i wasn' t certain myself, but i e-mailed almost every state agency in the country after the montpelier meeting, and one of the things that i asked them was whether or not our method of determining the ratio was acceptable, and all of the agencies replied yes to that question, so i guess that would mean that we have to accept their numbers regarding sex ratio. and as far as doing qdm in a wmu, we can' t willy-nilly choose one, like was tried this spring in the legislatue. i have researched this one, consulted with qdma experts, and to try it, we should be doing it in the islands, beacuse of several reasons, including a captive herd, limited access to deer, good habitat and genetics are there also. we need to also follw the plan, according to guidelines, for at least 5 years to get a true picture of any potential. as far as using antler erestrictions like you suggested, it has been proven time and time again that antler restrictions fail as a tool of qdm, many states have stopped using restrictions because of failure, and i have had, can' t find it now, a study that suggests that antler restrictions may actually be detrimental to a herd. also, don' t forget this point, under a qdm planwhich many people seem to forget, the total buck harvest will decrease, never to be reached again at current levels. people complain now, what do you think they will do about that one? also, does it really matter if you see more bucks, if you can' t shoot them? what does that accomplish?