HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - pointer help
Thread: pointer help
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2009, 04:33 PM
4evrhtn
Typical Buck

Default RE: pointer help

I probably wrote this a dozen times already but I know it works. Build a small quail pen for 2 or 3 quail. Every time the dog goes to the pen repeat the word BIRD and give him praise and/or treats. This will teach the dog it is good for him to show interest in birds, after his bird drive is up and he goes to the pen all the time then start with theWHOA training ( if he already knows COME and basic commands). I keep frozen quail in the frig to play fetch withfor myshorthairs during the times I can't get them out in the field to work and train.
I have a year old female that was never hunted and came from a irresponsible owner who had her crated all the time. She still hasn't hunted but will spend hours staring and pointing at the quail in the flight pen. Yesterday she knocked a young starling out of the air as it flew low through the yard. She went over to where it landed and went on point while my trained shorthair honored and backed her point. She has never been trained and has learned what her purpose is with very little effort thanks to having live quail in the yard and being praised for showing interest.