HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Help choosing a hunting rifle
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2009, 10:51 PM
hightop
Spike

Default RE: Help choosing a hunting rifle

The 140 grain Accubond bullet at 8000 feet above sea level has nearly 1600 ft. lbs at 600 yards. That will smoke a bull elk. You guys are right in that the hunter makes a choice based on practice and skill level to make the shot. I commend you for knowing your limitations. Usually my students have drawn out a premium big game tag. Most times taking in excess of 12 years to draw. We prepare for the worst and hope for the best in the field. Thanks you for being ethical hunters. Nothing wrong with that. I will continue to train shooters for long range situations. It doesn't mean we wonttry to get into 400 yards or closer. But if my client is shooting a 300 magnum with a high BC controlled expansion bullet and a bull of a lifetime feeds out across abig Utah Canyon 550 yards away I hope I have prepared them to be able to make the shot. Otherwise we may miss the opportunity.We all have different shooting levels. Understanding your personal skills are worth their weight in gold when the moment of truth arrives. Good debate keeps us all fresh and thinking. I love it!