HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Help choosing a hunting rifle
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2009, 05:21 AM
johsides
Spike

Default RE: Help choosing a hunting rifle

I stand by original statement. I shoot a .300WM, I practice, I shoot silhouettes out to 800 yards, but I still wouldn't shoot at a living animal at 600 yards. You, and your students, MIGHT be able to make the shot, but that doesn't make it an ethical shot for most people.

ORIGINAL: hightop

ORIGINAL: johsides

600 yards is way too far to be shooting a 140 grain .270 bullet and expecting a clean kill.
It's people like this that give hunters a bad name.
Unbelivable that someone would run their mouth like this. A .270 WSM with a 140 grain controlled expansion, high weight retention bullet will smoke the biggest bull at 600 yards if the shooter is capable of the shot. I train rifle shooters year round. My students take game yearly at distance. It is all about equipment, skill and practice. Match muzzle velocity with ballistic coefficient and bullet choice. Come out to Utah and I will help you fine tune your shooting skills at distance. I am all about ethics. Take the shot that you are confident you can make. Make the first shot count! Know the ballistics of your gun. Simple as that.