View Single Post
Old 05-24-2009, 10:24 PM
OklaBowhunter
Fork Horn

Default RE: Who takes this shot on an Elk

ORIGINAL: idahoelkinstructor

ORIGINAL: OklaBowhunter

ORIGINAL: idahoelkinstructor

On a foam 3-d target, you bet any day of the year. But on a real hunt with a live elk, only a idiot would take such a shot. I have go into a lot of arguments with this subject both in person and on this and other web sights.
I agree with the arguements and attacks. But we got to understand there many hunters talking long shots on game. Regardless if we agree or not.
Really glad to see this thread is being quite calm and everyones giving there input without insults and name calling like many hunting forums do!
DB
Not sure if i understand you fully or not so I will just say this. I understand that a lot of folks drink and drive even thou its fully agaist the laws, but if a lot of people do it does that make it right for everyone to drink and drive? Same goes with this argument, sure a lot of want to be hunters will take long shots, but does that mean all hunters should do it or allow it? I stick by my statement, that only a fool, and idiot would take such a shot. I also am more inpressed by anyone who can outsmart a animal and get in close, be it through, ambush, calling or stalking. Those people who do this are true hunters and not want to be risk takers who will fling arrows at any range in hopes of a kill. And yes ethics play a inportant part in bowhunting be it fair or not. Remember that bowhunting and hunting in general is a privlage not a right. By taking risky shots, not only are you risking a lost animal, but you are making all bowhunters look bad when that animal is found dead with a arrow wound. What is worse is all the jackasses on tv and vidoe taking such shots and then bragging about it. I just wish they would show the ones that they hit and don't recover. I bet for each animal that is shot and harvested over 60 yards, that two or more are wounded and get away only to die later.

Difference here is taking a long shot is not a crime or illegal. You and me do agree hunting is getting close. I take lots of youth and I preach the 30 and under rule fo them. But make no mistake hunter are taking longer shots and with bows soon hitting the 350fps mark you will see more long shots im my honest opionion.
DB