HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Looking for Info on how to setup an Elk hunt for biginner
Old 05-12-2009, 11:36 AM
GrumpyTom
Typical Buck

Default Looking for Info on how to setup an Elk hunt for biginner

I was wondering if someone with many years Moose & Deer hunting could do an Elk hunt without having to pay lots of money to an outfitter.

A little background to my situation might help. My Dad is in his late 70's and has expressed an interest in elk. Elk has always been a passion for me as well but living in Ontario Canada limits my chances to pursue them. I know that my Dad will not have the ability to fulfill this interest in very many years.

What I would really like to know is ............... what are the chances to hunt on public land (no set location yet, choose that later). Are there generally guides that can hunt this way without the high cost of an outfitter. Not including my traveling costs, what hunting costs can I expect to incur on a hunt like this.

I know that this will probably be a once in a life time hunt for me and my dad so I think that a local Guide would be best and not going it solo. But cost will also be a very limited factor in if we get to go or not. Any advice given would be gratefully received and used in decided where to go and even if this dream might be able to come true.

Thanks again.