HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Turkey comes in. Turkey turns around. I pull back. Turkey walks away. Stops broadside. I miss.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:51 AM
Pope94/IA
Nontypical Buck

Default Turkey comes in. Turkey turns around. I pull back. Turkey walks away. Stops broadside. I miss.

The title about sums it up.

Saturday night we were out and 15 deer (2 bucks) came to the left of us and were playing around. I was having so much fun watching them that I didn't realize their was a turkey running towards us until my mom pointed it out. There was a hen running through the tall grass and we could only see the back of the turkey. It was funny watching the turkey run (very fast it seemed like) through tall green grass. But anyway, she came in and when she was about in front of us I heard two gobbles behind us. I called a few times to them and they responded every time but they never came in. Then their gobbles started getting farther away so I figured they were getting ready to roost. I decided to pack up and hope they're there in the morning.
Well I was correct. Woke up at 4:30 left the cabin at 4:50 pulled in to where we are hunting at 5:05 and as we were walking in the field we heard two very very close gobbles. We hurried to the blind and good thing we got there when we did because I heard three (differant) gobbles behind us. At about 5:30 the two toms (that we heard last night) entered the field. They were walking straight to me so I couldn't pull back. They walked about 2 feet from my jake decoy (I had a jake out with a bedded down hen like 7 yards in front of the jake) and once they saw that the jake wasn't moving any they turned around and started walking off. As soon as they turned around I pulled back hoping they would turn. The only shot I had was straight at their back and tail feathers which I wouldn't do. So I waited.... and waited... and waited some more. It felt like 3 minutes of holding it back but it was really only 10-20 seconds. Finally they both turned broad side and I let the arrow go on the biggest one (the one in back). Right over the back the arrow went. I walked 30steps to where they were, but the range finder said 42 yards. Peice of crap rangefinder. I guess I need to upgrade, the things about 6 or 7 years old.

The turkeys didn't seem to spooked. They just walked away. I scrambled for another arrow but by the time I got one they were about 50-55 yards out. They walked to the opposite side of the field (about 100 yards from me) and they started strutting... Yeah thats right. They start strutting after they almost got killed. Turns out 3 hens were entering the field to the right of us along with a jake. They walked over to the gobblers and the toms and jake was chasing the hens around in the field. Then another hen came out and it walked right over to my decoys. It went and stood by my hen decoy for about 15 minutes and was just eating around.

And while all of this is going on... my mom is next to my filming. And yup, I just got done watching the video and Iabout wanted to cry, but instead I laughed. .I made a promise that I will never shoot a shotgun at a turkey until I have taken one with my bow.It is somuch fun but so hard. If I had a gun, one of those gobblers would be dead. But oh well.Its all apart of hunting.

Ill upload some of the pictures that we got this weekend and Ill try and get some videos. You cant get my videos from the camera to the computer because its all on a VHS tape so sometime soon Ill have to re-tape it onto another digital camera. The quality might suck but you can tell what happends.